Thursday, June 25, 2009

Correspondence with Frank Russell, whose father commissioned the Ipo Kai and who is also restoring a 27' CSK Catamaran

Frank,

Thank you so much for that information. I met with Wayne this morning to go over a lot of the plans. I will ask him about fairing the forward cross piece. I've been assuming a lot of what is on the boat is tried and true, and have been telling Wayne I don't want to "fix what isn't broken", and so to mostly restore what is already there. So, can you tell me any more about the upsides and downsides of removing the Nar-pole. Makai didn't have one. Please tell me more about your tiller thoughts. When we used to sail the Makai passed the Ipo Kai, my brother was always envious of its wheel.

Do you know what Ipo Kai means? Do you have plans for it or Imi Loa or Imua, or any other information like that?

We are trying to figure out fresh water capacity. Any thoughts?

Do you think and electric pump head would be worth it to a family over the manual pump head it now has?

Wayne thought we might save some on the cost of the front trampoline by using mesh, instead of the sewn together webbing. However, I remember a lot of water coming through the tramp when sailing upwind in a nice breeze, so I wasn't sure that was the place to save.

Wayne has also located a discounted carbon-fiber wing mast he is recommending to reduce the weight aloft. However, it is not cheap. Do you have any thoughts?

-----Original Message-----

> Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:35:48 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Frank Russell
> Subject: Re: Ipo Kai
> To: Brown
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Yes, Ipo Kai was built for my father in 1969 -1970. Rudy and my dad went
back and forth between an Imi Loa or Imua design and Ipo Kai was what came
of it all. 38ft x 16.5ft. I am one of 7 kids, so my parents were adamant
about cabin to hull access and not thru the deck hatches. The big boxy
forward crossbeam was installed after Ipo Kai took a large wave head on
during the Newport-Bermuda Race and was quickly installed and never rounded
and faired. It is solid spruce (4- 6 laminations) and can be carved to an
oval shape. We always wondered after she was sold, why the new owners never
did that after they spent fortunes on other modifications. Speaking of
which.... I'd remove the center nar-pole up the middle of the forward net,
too much weight. Also, on a boat this size, I'd prefer tillers over
wheel.... just my preference.
>
> I have to run, but would certainly welcome a call!!
>
> Aloha!,
> Frank Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment